Tuesday, September 8, 2009

11 in 11 Part 7: Antonio Richardson



Antonio Richardson stands at approximately 6-6 300lbs, yet he seems to have an even larger impact on this Tiger team. Last year Antonio transferred from Mt. Pleasant, TN to become a Tiger; however, he still had eligibility issues and was unavailable for the entire 2008 season. So far, Antonio has been a force. He helped neutralize University of Kentucky commit DL Tim McAdoo to lead Ensworth over Oakland 22-20 in overtime. This week he opened up massive lanes (well... more like highways) for Orleans Darkwa to run through as he picked up 341 rushing yards and scored 5 touchdowns against the Big Red. He is looked upon as the state's number one prospect for the class of 2011. Can Antonio lead the way for the Tigers to their first ever Division II football state title?

Antonio, congratulations on the MBA win. What does that mean to you and the rest of the team?

The win means a lot to us as a team because of the fact that they are our rival, and they do not respect us. I believe that we made a statement to them. The win means a lot to me even though I did not have my best game, because MBA made some very crazy statements about me, so the fact that we beat them felt good.

How hard was it to sit out all of last year with eligibility issues? Were there any positives to taking a year off?

Last year it was hard for me to sit out. I love the game of football, and I want to take it as far as I can, so it was very hard watching my teammates play. On the positive side, it made me a better teammate. I had to be the hype man for the team last year and some what of a water boy, but I enjoyed helping my teammates get better in practice and helping any way that I could. It also gave me time to get stronger, faster, and be devoted to my academics, which are always first.

If you had the choice to go college on a football scholarship anywhere you wanted, where would you go and why?

Right now I have like 20 plus colleges who have sent me letters letting me know that they are giving me looks. I have some that I like, but right now I prefer not to say which ones I like. But I really like the SEC. That is where I want to play, mostly because almost everybody in the SEC is giving me looks, and there are like 4 that I really like.

Which do you like playing more, offense or defense? Which would you rather play in college?

I love playing defense way more than offense. I would rather play defense in college.

As a defensive lineman, are you more comfortable stuffing the run or getting in the backfield?

I am comfortable stuffing the run and getting in the backfield. I can do either one. It's just a thing of being in good condition. Playing both sides of the ball with not much rest can be tiring at times.

On offense, are you a better run or pass blocker?

On offense, I'm good at both, but I don't think I'm as good on offense as I am on defense. It might just be the fact that I love defense more.

What game are you most looking forward to during the remainder of this season?

Now that we have gotten past Oakland and MBA, the game I believe I am looking forward to is Brentwood Academy. It will be a physical game.

No comments:

Post a Comment