Saturday, August 29, 2009

11 in 11 Part 1: Orleans Darkwa


Orleans Darkwa is one of the state's best running backs and it showed during last week's game against Oakland. He put up an impressive 101 yard performance against one of the state's toughest defenses. Last year he racked up 1,947 rushing yards with over 20 all-purpose touchdowns. Can he do it again?

What expectations do you have for the season?

I would say my expectations for this year are just to get better as a player overall, and to win the state championship. We have gotten close the past two years, but now I think it's time to finally get to where we have been wanting to the past two years.

How tough was Oakland’s defense?

Oh my, Oakland's defense was the toughest defense I have faced since I have been at Ensworth. They definitely have that aggressive mentality in which they don't want you to get a yard on any play. That is hard to find in defenses, but they have it. I am sure that they will have a successful season this year.

Did you ever think we were out of the Oakland game in the second half?

I thought we didn't come out with that fire like we did in the beginning of the game, but I never thought we were completely out of it. I knew Coach Bowers was going to call the right plays. It was just on us to show the effort and heart to execute out there and we did.

What are some areas that you can improve on this season?

I want to improve on my elusiveness as well as my footwork. I believe it will come as the season progresses.

Ensworth is ranked 1st in the Midstate football poll, do you actually think EHS is that good?

Yes, I believe we are that good. We have, in my opinion, the best coaching staff in the state and great players on this team. As long as we execute, play hard, and do what the coaches ask of us, I believe we will be able to maintain that ranking.

The MBA game is coming up next week; looking back on last year, how tired were you after those 99 and 80 yard runs? How many touches do you expect in this year’s game?

Oh I have to be honest, I was pretty tired, but those were exciting plays, and credit goes to the line on those, but as far as carries, I have no idea how many carries I will get. Coach Bowers can do anything in this game, so we will just find out next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment